Environment Pollution – Air Pollutants

Environment Pollution – Water Pollutants

Total
0
Shares

Environment Pollution – Water Pollutants

Water Pollutants

Sources – community waste water, Industrial waste, Agricultural chemicals waste, Thermal & nuclear pollution, Oil spills, Radioactive dump waste, Groundwater seepage etc.

  • Sudden rise in water temperature due to thermal pollution, which uses water as coolant & releases hot water to source, kills aquatic animals as they have a very narrow tolerance limit with respect to temperature
  • Polluted water reduces dissolved oxygen which leads to depletion of aquatic flora & fauna
  • Oil spills in water can be cleaned with the help of Bregolia byproduct of paper industry
  • Water hyacinth (an aquatic weed) can purify water by taking some toxic materials & a number of heavy metals from water.

Water Pollutants


Biochemical oxygen demand

  • amount of dissolved oxygen needed by bacteria in decomposing the organic waste present in water.
  • Actually, a measurement of pollution by organic wastes expressed as milligram of oxygen / liter water.

Higher value of BOD indicates low dissolved oxygen in water (BOD is only limited to biodegradable materials only)

Chemical oxygen demand

  • a measure of oxygen equivalent required for oxidation of total organic matter i.e. degradable & non degradable, present in water.

Diseases by Water Pollution

Minamata

  • A crippling deformity caused by methyl mercury poisoning mainly by industrial waste water
  • first described in the inhabitants of Minamata Bay, Japan and resulted from their eating fish contaminated with mercury industrial waste

 

itai itai

  • Also known as ouch ouch disease (pain in bones & joints) caused by water contamination by cadmium

 

Blue Baby Syndrome

  • Excess nitrates in drinking water reacts with hemoglobin to form nonfunctional methaemoglobin which impairs oxygen transport

 

Skeletal Fluorosis

  • Excess of fluorides in drinking water can cause neuromuscular disorders, teeth deformity, and hardening of bones, painful joints & outward bending of legs from knees – Knock knee syndrome

 

Black foot disease

  • Caused by leaching of arsenic from soil & rocks to ground water used for drinking purposes

 

Water contaminated with lead

  • Cause anemia, loss of muscle power & bluish lines around the gums

 

Iodine 131

  • Produced by nuclear tests, passed to vegetation & then appears in milk of the cattle that consume the contaminated vegetation & is passed to humans.
  • causes serious damage to thyroid glands especially among children

 

Sick building syndrome (SBS)

  • a situations in which building occupants experience acute health and comfort effects that appear to be linked to time spent in a building, but no specific illness or cause can be identified
  • causes are frequently pinned down to flaws in the heating, ventilation & air conditioning (HVAC) systems

Pollution in Leather Industry

  • Leather industry in India has become 0 discharge industry as ~80% of the effluents are treated and recycled back into use and remaining 20% are solidified and their salts used for other purposes.
  • As a result, Indian leather industry is REACH compliant (EU norms) and exported $4.5 bio in 2011-12 and the target is $14 bio by 2015-16 (growth rate of 20% p.a.)
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our Blog Updates

Instantly receive our best-selling book «10 Productivity Myths» in PDF for Free.

You May Also Like
Aquatic Ecosystems & Eutrophication

Aquatic Ecosystems & Eutrophication

Aquatic Ecosystems & Eutrophication An aquatic ecosystem is an ecosystem in a body of water. Communities of organisms that are dependent on each other and on their environment live in…
View Post
Forest Ecosystem

Forest Ecosystem

Forest Ecosystem Tundra Ice frozen soil with severe climatic conditions Tropical Lying near the tropics or in equatorial region Temperate Between Tropics & Arctic circles i.e. from 23.5* to 66.5*…
View Post
Different types of Species

Different types of Species

Different types of Species  Keystone species Species which determine the ability of a large number of other species to survive. Extinction of keystone species has snowballing effect on extinction of…
View Post