Smart Grid Mission, Smart Grid Mission, IMAC, FAME, FASTag
Indian n-facilities under IAEA safety umbrella
India to put its civilian reactors under IAEA safeguards, to pave the way for fuel import for its nuclear reactors
- Facilities that have been placed under IAEA safeguards will be eligible to use imported uranium.
- Indian nuclear reactors have been running below the capacity “due to the mismatch of power and supply demand of uranium.
IAEA called for more autonomy to India’s nuclear regulatory board
- After completing a 12-day review of India’s nuclear safety standards, IAEA stated that India has a strong commitment to safety but Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) needs more independence and separation from the government.
- Also called Indian government to allow more on-site inspections at nuclear power plants under international safeguards.
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- Headquartered at Vienna, Austria, was set up as world´s Atoms for Peace organization in 1957
- Seeks to promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy, and to inhibit its use for any military purpose, including nuclear weapons
National Smart Grid Mission
A smart electrical grid in the fields of automation, communication and IT systems that can monitor and control power flows from points of generation to points of consumption via a three tier structure viz.
- Governing Council is headed by Power Ministry & approves all policies and programmes for smart grid implementation.
- Empowered Committee is headed by Secretary (Power) & provide policy inputs to the GC and approve, monitor, review specific smart grid projects, guidelines, procedures etc.
- Technical Committee is headed by Chairperson & support the EC on technical aspect, standards development, technology selection guidelines etc.
National Super Computing Mission
Aims at bringing the High Performance Computing facilities within the reach of the scientific community by enhancing indigenous supercomputing infrastructure
- Jointly implemented by DST & DEIT through C-DAC and IISc, Bangalore
- Plans to establish a vast supercomputing grid comprising of more than 70 High Performance Computing facilities connected with the computing infrastructure set up under the National Knowledge Network.
- Facilities to be establish in national academic +R&D institutions across the county.
Supercomputing development is highly essential to address India’s complex problems like climate change, energy deficit, shortage of life saving drugs & high defense imports.
Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems project
A Mission Mode Project under the National e-Governance Plan; initiated in June 2009 which aims at creating a comprehensive and integrated system for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of policing at the Police Station level through:
- adoption of principles of e-Governance
- creation of a nationwide networked infrastructure for evolution of IT-enabled tracking system around investigation of crime and detection of criminals
It will not only automate Police functions at Police station and higher levels but will also create facilities and mechanism to provide public services like registration of online complaints, ascertaining the status of case registered at the police station, verification of persons etc.
- The project timelines is till March 2015 with provision of one year extension.
Information Management and Analysis Centre (IMAC)
- A joint initiative of Indian Navy, Coast Guard & Bharat Electronics Ltd to improve coastal surveillance, Gurgaon
- Set up to provide coastal security and to avert tragic incidents like the 26/11, Mumbai
- Nodal center of NC3I Network, which links 51 Naval & Coast Guard stations, located along the coast & on island territories, & provides these stations coastal surveillance information obtained from various sensors.
- It will be manned by the Navy and function under the National Security Adviser
- IMAC - a center where data from various sensors and databases is aggregated correlated and then disseminated to various stations for enhanced awareness.
- NC3I – National Command Control Communications and Intelligence Network
Faster Adoption & Manufacturing of Hybrid & Electric vehicles (FAME) – India
- aims to boost sales of eco-friendly vehicles till 2020 in the country as a part of National Mission for Electric Mobility
- Department of Heavy Industries will be nodal department for the scheme
National Electric Mobility Mission Plan 2020
- aims to achieve national fuel security by promoting hybrid and electric vehicles in the country
- targets 6-7 million sales of hybrid and electric vehicles year on year from 2020 onwards
FASTag Electronic toll collection
- Making payment electronically on highway tolls without stopping the vehicle at toll plazas
- Started across 45 toll plazas on the Mumbai-Delhi corridor on the Golden Quadrilateral
How it works?
- Vehicle’s wind shield will be affixed with a prepaid ‘Radio Frequency Identification Device’ tag known as FASTag
- RFID Tag on windshield will be read by the readers fitted in the dedicated ETC lanes on toll plazas
- ETC will deduct an appropriate amount depending upon the class of vehicle from the account of the user