Science Day, White Fi, NOFN, AIM, SETU, DISHA
National Science Day – Feb 28
To mark the discovery of the ‘Raman Effect’, for which a Nobel Prize winning research paper submitted by Sir C.V. Raman was accepted on that day.
A phenomenon in spectroscopy i.e. change in the wavelength of light that occurs when a light beam is deflected by molecules
- When a beam of light traverses a dust-free, transparent sample of a chemical compound, a small fraction of the light emerges in directions other than that of the incident (incoming) beam
- Most of this scattered light is of unchanged wavelength. A small part, however, has wavelengths different from that of the incident light; its presence is a result of the Raman Effect
White Fi to provide last mile connectivity
- A Microsoft project – Uses the unused spectrum in frequencies, used for broadcasting television signals
- 200-600 MHz frequency is used for TV channels – In India, 93 % of this spectrum is not utilized – White Fi will use this vacant spectrum to provide broadband connectivity.
Benefits of White Fi
- White-fi system operating the TV white spaces would use frequencies below 1 GHz
- This would allow for greater distances to be achieved, against the lowest 2.4 GHz of current Wi-Fi systems (ISM bands)
Unused spectrum / White Space can be accessed providing connectivity to areas where NOFN is tough to put down.
Idukki in Kerala became first District of India to have Complete Rural Broadband Coverage
- All Connected via. NOFN + 1 Gram panchayat via. VSAT (Very Small Aperture Terminal)
- Broadband connectivity is being provided by BSNL
National Optic Fiber Network (NOFN)
- A project to provide broadband connectivity to over two lakh Gram panchayats of India
- An SPV Bharat Broadband Network Limited was created as a PSU under Companies Act of 1956 for the execution of the project.
- Funded by the Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF), project is intended to enable Indian government to provide e-services and e-applications nationally
Rashtria Avishkar Abhiyan
- Developed by the Ministry of Human Resource Development
- Seeks to develop scientific temper among school children
- Government schools will be mentored by reputed Institutes viz. IITs / IIMs / IISC / NITs etc. via
- Science, Mathematics and Technology Clubs for Children
- Organised visits to Science Museums, Innovation hubs and Science fairs and Mathematics Melas
- Strengthening School Science and Mathematics Laboratories
- Assessment Design for Science and Mathematics for students
Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)
- An Innovation Promotion Platform in the NITI Aayog, involving academics, entrepreneurs and researchers and draw upon national and international experiences to foster a culture of innovation, R&D and scientific research in India.
- Initial fund of 150 crore for R&D announced in 2015 budget
- Will provide funds to a network of institutions to conduct research on innovations that can improve economic growth and job creation
- Replaced the National Innovation Council, a significant difference between the two will be the powers to disburse funds
- To provide policy inputs to NITI Aayog and various government departments and organisations
- To develop new programmes and policies for fostering innovation in different sectors of economy
Self Employment and Talent Utilisation (SETU)
- Under NITI Aayog, a Techno-Financial, Incubation and Facilitation Programme to support all aspects of start-up businesses, and other self-employment activities, particularly in technology driven areas
DISHA (Digital Saksharta Abhiyan)
- Central Government launched a programme to invest Rs 450-500 crore on providing basic computer education to about 50 lakh people over the next three years with the help of private companies
- The scheme targets to train approximately 52.5 lakh persons that include Anganwadi and ASHA workers and authorized ration dealers in all the States/UTs across the country
Smart Vault: A Fully Automated Locker
ICICI Bank launched the first of its kind fully automated digital locker named Smart vault
- 24 x 7 access to customers with high end security.
- It is protected by multi-layer security system which includes biometric, PIN authentication and debit cards among others.
- Customers can access it without any intervention by the branch staff.
- It brings a very different, much more convenient, state of art branch experience to the customers.